Eating out, cooking in, cooking out and our opinions on everything culinary

Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Product Choices-organic, natural, conventional?

I don't know what I would do without Whole Foods. Even with the prices of everything natural and organic being so high, I have gotten to the point where I really don't want to eat conventional grocery store meat period. I draw the line these days and purchase all our meat at Whole Foods. The beef tastes better, the chicken tastes better, the ground turkey is head and shoulders above the rest.

There is a big debate in our culture about whether organic, natural foods are in essence better for you than conventionally grown produce, meats, and dairy products. Being Chefs the quality and flavor of the products speak to us on a level that is so much more than merely a health issue.

I have converted my parents over from conventional to organic milk, and that took very little time. I have a hard time convincing my mom to pay $9.00/lb for good quality natural organic chicken. Do you blame her? But if we are what we eat, then isn't the investment worth it? Everyone is so worried about getting caught up in the hype....and getting ripped off.

I'll tell you what is a rip off, all the low-carb craze that is going on. If you are going to eat low-carb, follow the glycemic index. If you aren't then don't. But just like diet foods that are supposedly "low-fat", "low-carb" is going through it's own period of adjustment.

In our experiences working as Private Chefs, people prefer whatever is healthier, and whatever is fresh and in season. It is when food is meant to be enjoyed. We have been so lucky to have a clientele who are very liberal with their pocketbooks, and given us the opportunity to use some of the best quailty ingredients available to Chef's today!~ Many of these ingredients we purchased weekly at our local Farmer's Markets! Get out there and see what is available, and don't just settle for Vons or your big chain grocery stores. Some of the smaller stores may be more expensive but they may offer some considerable value in the long run!

I'm hoping to get some feedback on this from any readers! Thanks again!

5 Comments:

Blogger casweet-thing said...

Great blog, I found you through: http://www.didymoi.squarespace.com/

I'm also a huge fan of Whole Foods, but I'm terribly lucky to have the Ferry Plaza Marketplace a 15 minute walk away from my house (about the same distance as Whole Foods). I'm all for the small business person instead of the large chain (even a good chain like Whole Foods), so I lean a bit more toward the smaller independent shops and the local farmers at the weekly farmer's markets.

May 20, 2004 10:22 AM

 
Blogger Cali said...

Didymoi rules. Thanks for stopping by and your comments. Do you have a site? Shawn

May 21, 2004 10:33 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've stumbled across your blog when I done some premium dog food research in Google. You're doing a pretty nice job
here, keep up the good work! check out premium dog food

October 07, 2005 6:50 AM

 
Blogger Tom Naka said...

Nice blog. Please check out my cheap health insurance in pennsylvania
site. It is all about cheap health insurance in pennsylvania
informations.

October 07, 2005 10:26 PM

 
Anonymous Alternative Health Products said...

Hi Cali
Thanks for your blog. I am hunting for information on Natural Supplements and I can see how I got to your Product Choices-organic, natural, conventional? site, even though it is not all about Natural Supplements. Your site is very interesting. It’s about time we got some of this information. Keep up the good work.
Mable

November 03, 2005 11:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by TwoHotChefs.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]